Welcome to the chronicles of my first pregnancy, and beyond! I am a married working professional in my early 30's.

This blog is primarily to keep my family, friends, and any other interested parties updated, as well as documenting for myself and my growing family.

Please leave a comment and let me know you were here! Suggestions, questions, and information are all welcome. -Kim


Friday, May 21, 2010

The discomforts of pregnancy




16 weeks pregnant and doing well! Baby is the size of an avocado, and getting ready to have a major growth spurt over the next few weeks. I did some gardening over the weekend, and ever since then have had headaches (especially upon standing), and noticed mild carpel tunnel in my wrists. Did you know that the majority of pregnant women develop carpel tunnel? Swelling compresses the nerves. A fun fact I had never known. I'm also noticing slight discomforts when sitting too long or laying down, more achiness in places, having more trouble getting comfortable. Women in their 2nd and 3rd trimesters are not allowed to lie flat on their backs because it compresses a blood vessel to the baby, but they can be propped up, so this adds another challenge to getting comfortable. All these symptoms are super-mild and very manageable. Over the past few weeks I've noticed changes in my bellybutton! It used to be "V" shaped, and is now more "U" shaped!

Had another doctor's appointment this week, it was tremendously reassuring that everything is on track. My weight gain is perfect, I still weigh 161; my baby bump is perfect (I was worried it was too small); we heard the heartbeat with the doppler and it was 140-145! Whew. Yes, I was worried again. And most exciting, in T - 3 weeks we are having the anatomy scan ultrasound and will (hopefully) find out if it is a boy or a girl!!! This is The Big ultrasound. I was expecting to wait a full month, but the doc said I could come back in two weeks (at 18 weeks), however, the ultrasound tech will be on vacation, so we have to wait an extra week, so 19 weeks it is. The countdown is on! So please get your vote in! Do you think the baby is a boy or a girl? Visit my blog to vote, if you haven't already done so, there is a voting button on the right side, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment