
Friday, March 19th, 2010:
Today I had my first ultrasound! I have been so excited and a little nervous about it. I must have been more nervous than I thought, because I didn't sleep much last night, and I woke up with a mild case of hives, which I get when I am really nervous. I went into work in the morning, and then headed over to Barnes & Noble, to purchase grandparent journals for my in-laws. I ran into a friend in the "Pregnancy and Childbirth" section, told her I was pregnant, and learned that it would be a vaginal ultrasound.
I have been craving ice cream, and salty foods, particularly McDonald's Big Mac and french fries. So, I had McD's for lunch, that hit the spot! Hopefully, that will take care of that craving and I won't have to feed our developing baby any more fast food. Then I went back to Barnes & Noble to kill more time before the appointment, and I was so tired that I actually fell asleep in those comfy chairs! That was a first for me.
DH was unable to attend the appointment, and my parents were flying down to Florida that day for their Eastern Caribbean cruise. My dear mother-in-law was thrilled to attend the appointment with me. Weight = 158. Blood pressure = 120/76. Had to give a "sterile," or clean-catch urine sample.
The technician said no pictures allowed during the ultrasound because one of their technician's ended up on Facebook. (ok...?) But she gave us three sonogram pictures. Everything looks good! The baby, which she called my "bean," measured 6 weeks and 4 days, which is close to LMP. We heard and then saw the heartbeat, 118 beats/minute. When I first heard it I thought it could be my heartbeat I was so excited. She showed us the yolk sac (?), uterus, etc. She said I ovulated from my right ovary and she could see the corpus luteum on it. I've always thought my right ovary was the better one. She noted the left ovary has a few cysts on it, probably from the clomid, no big deal, they'll probably dissolve in a few weeks. Then I met with the doc who repeated what the technician said, "everything looks good!" I told him I wanted the nuchal translucency screening. They'll do that blood test at my next appointment at 10 weeks. He sent me to the lab downstairs for more standard pregnancy blood work. Next week they'll schedule the NT ultrasound, which needs to be done between 11 weeks and 13 weeks, and we'll have the blood results by the time we do the ultrasound for the complete results.
My family and I are thrilled, and this ultrasound was more confirmation that things are good, it makes it more real.
I have been having some fatigue, very mild nausea, and frequent urination this week. I had to interrupt a session with a client to use the bathroom! That was another first for me.
Baby in the womb!

CRL = Crown to Rump length

Heartbeat 118 beats/min

Below is me at 7 weeks! The baby is now the size of a blueberry! Excerpt from Babycenter newsletter: "The big news this week: Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs -- although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny, pudgy extremities you're daydreaming about holding and tickling. Technically, your baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of her tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. Your baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry."

So very excited for you!!!! I'm so looking forward to following you through your pregnancy. Nice to meet you, via your Blog pictures :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on getting past the first hurdle!
Thanks, Kim! You are awesome. Nice to meet you too :) is that what I say? Good luck to you, hun!
ReplyDelete