
I turned 10 weeks today. Baby has graduated from an embryo to a fetus, is over an inch long, and the hands meet in front of the chest now. Symptoms: I've noticed my bump is a little bigger. I have more regular uterine cramping, hives 90% better, insomnia improved, some nausea and headaches, and just don't feel like my normal self, get tired easily. I get up during the night to use the bathroom at least once, usually twice, sometimes as many as four times! I became insecure between doctor's appointments and worried about baby, just needed reassurance that all is well. I have not exercised much at all during this pregnancy, but plan to return to yoga and maybe just walking at the gym.
Today I also had my OB Coordinator visit and then doctor's appointment. Miscarriage is apparently a common issue, because they waited until I was towards the end of my first trimester before congratulating me on making it to this point, doing certain standard medical tests such as a cervical swab for STD's and breast exam, giving me a goody bag of free stuff, and having my first 'real' ob appointment.
DH met me there. The OB coordinator, RN, spent almost an hour reviewing my detailed medical history to determine if I was normal/high risk, and to give me an overview of "what to expect" concerning the hospital, appointments, pregnancy, etc. She covered everything from how to wear a seatbelt to where to buy a breast pump to cord blood donation. She gave me a goody bag of free sample magazines, a book, DHA supplement, pregnancy planner, huge notebook with hospital info which includes pre-registration, pre-natal classes, etc. She reviewed all handouts I've received to date; exercise, foods to avoid, safe med list, optional testing, etc. She discussed my symptoms, and explained frequency of apptmts, that after today I wouldn't need any more pelvic exams until the end of pregnancy; I should meet with all of the docs, because whomever is on call that day will deliver me. Basically she answered any questions about anything relating to pregnancy/medical care/hospital/etc. She played it safe and could only recommend pre-natal yoga (instead of the power yoga I normally do), and advised against all sushi.
Weight = 160 (gained two pounds in the past few weeks!). BP = 112/70. Gave urine sample. Then we met with the doc, another one I really liked. I asked his opinion about sushi and he said cooked sushi rolls are fine, tuna may have some contaminants/implying don't eat as much, but "sushi has gotten a bad rap," and he agreed that it was probably safer to eat shrimp, crab, and vegetable rolls, instead of the larger fish, or maybe I told him that, I forget. My uncle, who is a doctor, also thinks sushi is safe in pregnancy, in his opinion.
Today I also had my OB Coordinator visit and then doctor's appointment. Miscarriage is apparently a common issue, because they waited until I was towards the end of my first trimester before congratulating me on making it to this point, doing certain standard medical tests such as a cervical swab for STD's and breast exam, giving me a goody bag of free stuff, and having my first 'real' ob appointment.
DH met me there. The OB coordinator, RN, spent almost an hour reviewing my detailed medical history to determine if I was normal/high risk, and to give me an overview of "what to expect" concerning the hospital, appointments, pregnancy, etc. She covered everything from how to wear a seatbelt to where to buy a breast pump to cord blood donation. She gave me a goody bag of free sample magazines, a book, DHA supplement, pregnancy planner, huge notebook with hospital info which includes pre-registration, pre-natal classes, etc. She reviewed all handouts I've received to date; exercise, foods to avoid, safe med list, optional testing, etc. She discussed my symptoms, and explained frequency of apptmts, that after today I wouldn't need any more pelvic exams until the end of pregnancy; I should meet with all of the docs, because whomever is on call that day will deliver me. Basically she answered any questions about anything relating to pregnancy/medical care/hospital/etc. She played it safe and could only recommend pre-natal yoga (instead of the power yoga I normally do), and advised against all sushi.
Weight = 160 (gained two pounds in the past few weeks!). BP = 112/70. Gave urine sample. Then we met with the doc, another one I really liked. I asked his opinion about sushi and he said cooked sushi rolls are fine, tuna may have some contaminants/implying don't eat as much, but "sushi has gotten a bad rap," and he agreed that it was probably safer to eat shrimp, crab, and vegetable rolls, instead of the larger fish, or maybe I told him that, I forget. My uncle, who is a doctor, also thinks sushi is safe in pregnancy, in his opinion.
Then he did the doppler (through abdomen), it took about a minute to find the heartbeat, which made me so nervous. The fetal HB was in the 170's!!! He said it was a good, strong heartbeat, and appropriate for this point in the pregnancy. It seemed hard to find and hard to hear because he said the baby is so small right now and moving around. DH "thinks" he heard it. Then clinical examinations. Then I had the NT blood test, a finger prick to fill 5 "wells" on a paper.
No comments:
Post a Comment