Welcome to the chronicles of my first pregnancy, and beyond! I am a married working professional in my early 30's.

This blog is primarily to keep my family, friends, and any other interested parties updated, as well as documenting for myself and my growing family.

Please leave a comment and let me know you were here! Suggestions, questions, and information are all welcome. -Kim


Friday, June 4, 2010

The Quickening


I am now 5 months pregnant, 18 weeks, and continue to feel good! Symptoms: swelling of the ankles, my bellybutton is definitely getting shallower, my linea nigra, which used to be only below the bellybutton, has now extended above the bellybutton. An old wive's tale says if it stays below the bellybutton, you are having a girl, and if it extends above the bellybutton, you are having a boy. In one week exactly we will find out (hopefully) if we are having a boy or a girl!! Can't wait!

And most exciting of all, QUICKENING. The past few weeks I've noticed very subtle sensations in my uterus, often described as flutters, and hard to distinguish from digestive rumblings. And I've had an occasional kick or punch, it's so quick but distinct, and I always think, "there's no way my intestines can do that!" Sometimes I feel pressure, and sometimes the movement just feels so weird, it would be as weird as if you actually felt butterflies fluttering in your stomach. I don't know that I am definitely feeling the baby move, but I think I am.

I am still in my regular clothing! I'm wearing clothing that is baggy or hides my belly, so clients still do not know, and my co-workers are in disbelief that I am 5 months pregnant.

Kim's Top 5 you Know it's Time to Retire the Belly band/get into Maternity clothes When:
- your discontentment with the belly band equals your excitement for it when you first got it.
- no one at work can tell I am pregnant when I am 5 months along, but maternity clothes will show off my shape better.
- the belly band is too tight or rolls off my belly.
- I sit with my pants undone because it is more comfortable.
- I have better things to do than to constantly fidget with and pull at my clothing.

A co-worker gave me some maternity clothing to get my collection started. It felt like Christmas morning! Thank you E.! I went maternity shopping today, starting out at consignment shops for the basics, and will purchase full-priced items I need later. I purchased a dozen 'recycled' items at a great store called Kid to Kid, mostly tops, and only spent $38! Now that's a good deal!! I'm pretty averse to paying full-price for something that I will only wear a few months. However, retail stores to hit up will be Old Navy, Target, Ross, and of course, Motherhood Maternity. And one last tip, the best way to purchase recycled baby and children's items, and probably maternity clothing too, is to check out a consignment event. Just Google "baby consignment event + your State (in the USA)" and you can find tons of large yard-sale blow-outs which are happening all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment